banner amend

Application for Foreign Worker

Approved Sectors :

  1. Manufacturing
  2. Plantation
  3. Agriculture
  4. Construction
  5. Services

Application for quota approval must be made at the Local Centre of Approval, Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Foreign Domestic Helpers, cooks who are citizens of Thailand and rubber tappers in the Northern States and East Coast do not require such approval.

1. New Application Procedures for Foreign Worker

  1. Obtain approval and pay levy at the Local Centre of Approval, Ministry of Home Affairs.
  2. Employers apply for Visa With Reference (VDR) and the Visitor’s Pass (Temporary Employment).

1. Documents required when applying: -

  1. An application letter from employer
  2. Visa applications by reference form
  3. Letter of approval from the Ministry of Home Affairs
  4. Original receipts of levy paid
  5. Form IMM.12
  6. Payment form
  7. VDR Application form for new foreign workers
  8. Bank draft (payment PLKS, PROCESS AND VISA)
  9. Deposit / Insurance Guarantee / Bank Guarantee (valid for at least 18 months)
  10. Copy of worker’s passport
  11. Worker’s photograph(1 piece)
  12. Stamped personal bond 
  13. Medical report from the country of origin approved by the Ministry of Health Malaysia

2. Additional documents:
Copies of the registration form (Form 49 / Form B & D) Representative Company Card (Yellow Card) for Foreign Workers Application VDR (Employer / Company Representative)
The original approval letter outsourcing foreign workers, and certified copies of VDR application for outsourcing foreign workers (outsourcing company)

c. Foreign workers should remain outside the country while the application is being processed. Employees will only be allowed to enter Malaysia after the application for VDR and PL (KS) have been approved. The permitted entry points are:

  1. Through the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) Foreign workers must obtain a Visa from Malaysian Representative Offices overseas
  2. Other entry points:Foreign workers from Thailand and Indonesia must obtain a Visa from the Malaysian Representative Office in that country
  3. Conduct medical examinations at FOMEMA registered clinics / health centres to obtain a clean bill of health.
  4. Obtain the Visitor’s Pass (Temporary Employment) sticker at the State Immigration Office or at the Malaysian Immigration Headquarters, Putrajaya. 

Documents required:

  1. The original approval letter from the Local Centre of Approval, Ministry of Home Affairs
  2. Original receipts of payment made
  3. Worker’s passport

Note: All transactions are to be made within one month from the date of entry into this country.

2. Application Procedures For Extensions

  1. Applications should be made at the Foreign Workers Division, Headquarters of Immigration Affairs. Employers should apply 3 months before the PL (KS) expires.
  2. Foreign workers must undergo the health screening test and be given a clean bill of health by FOMEMA (for the second and third successive years only).
  3. Applications should be submitted or requested by employers.

Documents required:

  1. Form 49 / Form B & D / card company representative
  2. Payment form
  3. Foreign worker's passport with a validity of not less than 12 months
  4. Earnest money receipt / bank guarantee / insurance guarantee (not less than 18 months) Last Updated on Tuesday, 05 October 2010 22:14

3. Form of Payment

  1. Cash
  2. Bank draft in favour of "DIRECTOR GENERAL OF IMMIGRATION MALAYSIA" and for those in the states the bank draft should be in favour of "DIRECTOR OF IMMIGRATION” of the respective state. (Example: DIRECTOR OF IMMIGRATION KEDAH)
  1. the outsourcing company is allowed to re-deploy employees from one company to another company within the same sector.
  2. the outsourcing company shall be responsible for compliance with established guidelines.

4. Important Matters relating to the Application for a Foreign Worker

  1. The Foreign worker must be in the age group of 18 to 45 years.
  2. The Foreign worker is not allowed to bring in his family to live in this country.
  3. The Foreign worker cannot change jobs or change employers without obtaining permission from the Ministry of Home Affairs.
  4. The Foreign worker is allowed to work within a period not exceeding 5 years
  5. The Foreign worker is allowed to stay in this country according to the dates set in the pass. To ensure continued validity, the PL (KS) should be submitted to any Immigration office three months before the expiry date of the PL (KS).
  6. The employers is solely responsible for all payments of deposit, visa and foreign workers levy passes to the Immigration Department of Malaysia
  7. This deposit is refundable only if the employer has presented evidence that foreign workers have left the country or have changed employers approved by the Department of Immigration.
  8. The Foreign worker should be repatriated to his country of origin upon completion of work, dismissal or when the PL (KS) has expired, or revoked or when the foreign worker has failed to obtain a clean bill of health. 
  9. The Foreign worker is not allowed to marry any local resident or migrant worker who works in this country.
  10. The employer is responsible for reporting to the Immigration Department if the foreign worker has fled from his place of work.
  11. The approval of the PL (KS) may be withdrawn or revoked if the Foreign worker violates the conditions set by the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

5. How to Report on Foreign Workers who have absconded

To cancel the PL (KS) of a Foreign Worker / Domestic Helper, the employer / informant must be present at the relevant Immigration Office to submit the following documents:
1. Letter of request to cancel the PL (KS) of the foreign worker who had fled.
2. Copy of identity card of the employer / employer representative
3. Foreign worker’s passport from country of origin
4.Form to report on the foreign worker who had absconded. This form is issued by the Immigration Department of Malaysia
5. Certified Copy of Police report.


To apply for foreign workers in Sabah and Sarawak, please refer to the State Immigration Office.

205 approved list of Medical Centres in Nepal

Approved list of Medical Centres in Philippines

6. Coloured Foreign Worker Identity Card By Sector Of Employment

Foreign Workers Coloured Coded Identity Card (i-Kad) by sector of employment for every of Visit Pass Temporary Employment (VPTE) issued. The coloured Coded i-Kad accordingly under the following sectors of employment:





















Foreign Maid



The application procedure for i-Kad

The application of VP(TE) made by the employer is considered to be the application for i-Kad and it will be printed simultaneously with the issuance of VP(TE). Printed i-Kad then will be sent directly to the employer address as in the VP(TE) without involvement of agen or intermediaries. i-Kad will be issued to the employer according to following categories:


First category

New application for first year VP(TE)


Second category

Renewal for the second year VP(TE) and subsequently