Work and Holiday Visa
The 'Work and Holiday' Visa is a special programme that provides opportunities to young people of Malaysia and Australia to work temporarily to cover daily expenses while travelling in Malaysia or Australia. This programme further strengthens bilateral relations between Malaysia and Australia.
This programme is offered to both nationals of Malaysia and Australia who fulfill the following requirements:
- Intend primarily to holiday in Malaysia or Australia for a specified period;
- Aged between eighteen (18) and thirty (30) years at the time of the application for the visa;
- Hold tertiary qualifications, or have successfully completed at least two (2) years of undergraduate studies at a university;
- Able to communicate in English proficiently;
- Are not accompanied by dependent children;
- Have not previously taken part in the 'Work and Holiday' programme;
- Possess a valid passport and a return travel ticket or have sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket;
- Have sufficient funds for their upkeep during the initial period of living in Malaysia or Australia,;
- Meet health requirements:
a. Malaysian applicants - Meet Australia's health requirements;
b. Australian applicants - Required to have good health with valid medical certificates issued by qualified doctors in Australia; and
- Be of good character: a.Malaysian applicants - meet character requirements;
- b.Australian applicants - do not possess any criminal records.
Those who have entered Malaysia or Australia on a 'Work and Holiday' Visa will be required to comply with the respective laws, rules and regulations of Malaysia and Australia and not engage in employment that is contrary to the purpose of the 'Work and Holiday' programme.
- For both Malaysians and Australians, the principal purpose of the 'Work and Holiday' programme is to encourage travelling with work being incidental to the holiday;
- Australian participants of this programme are not allowed to work in the following sectors:-
- any firm or company which requires professional qualifications;
- the entertainment industry such as singing and dancing;
- the spa;
- the service counter (front office); and
- voluntary activity.
3. For both Malaysians and Australians, 'Work and Holiday'holders must not be employed by any one employer for more than six (6) months;
4. For both Malaysians and Australians, 'Work and Holiday' Visa holders will not be permitted to engage in any studies or training for more than four (4) months of the visit;
5. For both Malaysians and Australians, a 'Work and Holiday' Visa will automatically entitle the visa holder to work and reside temporarily in Malaysia or Australia;
6. A Malaysian citizen can apply for the "Work and Holiday 'programme at the Australian Embassy in Malaysia and an Australian citizen can apply for the same programme at the Malaysian Embassy in Australia;
7. Applicants for 'Work and Holiday' Visas will need to provide a letter from the relevant government ministry which selected them to participate in the programme to ensure that they meet all the eligibility requirements; and
8. Applicants will be interviewed, when necessary, by representatives of each country to determine their eligibility for the grant of a visa.
How To Apply for a Work And Holiday Visa
Malaysian nationals applying for a 'Work and Holiday' Visa must undergo the following procedures:
1. Obtain an application form from the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur or download the on-line form at www.imi.gov.my;
2. Obtain a 'Letter of Good Conduct' from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia and satisfy all the eligibility requirements;
3. Submit the application form to the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur. A medical check-up form will be given to the applicant if the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur is satisfied with the application;
4. Undergo a medical check-up at any hospital which is approved by the Australian Government;- the hospital will submit the medical check up results directly to the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur without forwarding the results to the applicant; and
5. Applicants will be notified by the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur regarding their status of application.
Australian nationals applying for a 'Work and Holiday' Visa must undergo the following procedures:
1. Obtain an application form from the Malaysian High Commission in Canberra or the Malaysian Consulate General in Perth or download the on-line form at www.imi.gov.my;
2. Provide a letter from the ACT and Regions Office of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship of Australia, or any other relevant government department determined by the Australian government, to confirm that they have been selected to participate in the programme and that they satisfy all the eligibility requirements;
3. Submit the application form and valid medical certificates issued by a qualified doctor in Australia to the Malaysian High Commission in Canberra or Malaysian Consulate General in Perth;
4. Only complete application forms will be sent to the Malaysian Immigration Department Headquarters for approval; and
5. Applicants will be officially notified by the Malaysian High Commission in Canberra or Malaysian Consulate General in Perth regarding their status of application.
The fee for successful Australian applications is RM 90.00 for 12 months.
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 April 2012 09:00